Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Your lesson for today

Just cuz one drawing looks more like a human than another drawing doesn't mean it has a better likeness. This is an obvious truth to a caricature artist. When we are very young and learning to draw we will attempt a likeness, but if we fall short, we take consolation if the drawing is recognized as being of a person, but now, as caricature artists, we find the system completely reversed. I think the ultimate ideal caricature is one where no semblance of humanness remains, but still the likeness is there. This is not that drawing, but it is a drawing I am very happy with. It is of my friend, Eric Goodwin. He recently moved to San Diego. Wazup, Eric.




It is quite possible to copy a photo of a person as directly as you can and not get a good likeness. This drawing of Dave Chappelle illustrates this. It's not to say that a portrait is less prone to capturing likeness, but for a likeness to be caught it requires the same amount of attention that a caricature requires. It demands the sensitivity of a cautious and judgmental eye.

9 comments:

Seo Kim said...

well said! and nice drawings!

Nate said...

the Dave drawing looks like him but doesn't feel like him. Is that what your sayin?

Aaronphilby said...

HAHA. Not so much. I'm saying it doesn't look like him. Or maybe I'm saying it doesn't look like him upon closer inspection. I realize it might resemble him a bit from having some similarities and stuff.

Aaronphilby said...

and thank you, skim.

Eric Goodwin said...

Such a cool drawing of me. One of my new favorites! Thanks, teach.

Damion009 said...

I love the shapes in the top drawing!!!

Aaronphilby said...

Thanks, Damion.

Jon said...

Looks like Dave to me...at least that's what my brain told me after seeing the drawing for about a tenth of a second...

If you immediately recognize a drawing as having a likeness of the particular person being depicted, hasn't the artist achieved their goal? To what degree should the drawing look like the person in question?

Aaronphilby said...

Well, every artist has different goals, but I want the drawing to continue to resemble the individual immediately and after a long while. That Tomo drawing of Nate up there still looks like Nate nomatter how long I look at it.