Saturday, December 28, 2013

Still in Korea


I feel like I'm stuck here a little bit. It's lovely. Don't get me wrong.

I'm working on getting a Visa for my wife so we can come work in America.

Let me list some things about Korea that are interesting or annoying depending on my mood/the quality of my last caricature, just kidding, partially.


Koreans, after they eat a meal, they get a far off look in their eye. Their tongue roams around their mouth; then they do a thing where they suck the stray bits of food out of their teeth in a way that sounds like a bug zapper.











Pedestrians don't have the right of way in the streets of Korea. Some of these are just facts without jokes, so just be aware. 




Escalators. I don't know if you know this, but on an escalator, the right lane is for standing (or walking), and the left for walking.

But sometimes a person will just stand on the left side for no reason, and there will be a huge line of walkers standing behind them. I don't know what they do in the rest of the world, but in Seoul Korea, they do nothing. Maybe they meditate. Can you imagine if it was New York City! They'd be like "Hey, I'm walkin' here!"













  Koreans don't cover their mouth when they cough or sneeze mostly and they don't teach their kids to as far as I can tell. They will however turn their head to avoid sneezing on the people facing them in order to sneeze on the guy behind them which was me.

 







Koreans smoke cigs like it's no big deal because they figured out the trick that all you have to do is spit out the cancer after each puff and you're good to go.







Random fact #6: Korean cuisine is delicious. For example, they really know how to make fried meat. To see more mouthwatering Korean dishes, click here.









One last factoid tidbit. Koreans use a certain tone in almost every other sentence that English speaking people reserve for when they're annoyed with their younger sibling always tying their shoelaces together when their not looking.





4 comments:

Meesimo said...

Love these studies

aaron philby said...

Thanks Meesimo

yonie woo said...

I love your drawings.
But, your talking of Korean is too personal view.

It is not about Korean it is mostly about who do you meet or where do you go.... also big city or not.

I traveled so many citis and contries.
What you write.... mostly happen big city.
Also i saw so many worse like cigs problem is much worse in Paris, Italia any big city and Tokyo.

If you go to good resterents, you will see good table manner. If you are not, less see good things.

Yes, your personal blog you can write whatever you see. I am just writing this.....

because people who didn't know korean very well they might get wrong and may have thinking stereo type of Korean.
Do you know how many chinese and Japanese living in Korea? Also do you know most chinese people they speak really good korean? It is big diverce city like New york. People said Newyork people are very rude. But, it so many people i meet in Newyork who did rude can be travellers or foriengers.

Don't get me wrong.

I respect your sincierlity and observation in Korea, though.



aaron philby said...

Thanks for visiting and commenting on my Blog Yonie. Korea is awesome and Koreans are even awesomer. But there are a lot of interesting idiosyncracies. It may just be a city thing. Ive never lived in such a big city as Seoul with a subway and everything. Maybe i use a tone when im writing like im the authority on the subject but yeah. I know its just my personal experience. Thanks again for visiting my blog!(: